[riot-devel] Remote Shell Commands

Juan Ignacio Carrano j.carrano at fu-berlin.de
Mon Sep 9 15:46:13 CEST 2019

Hi,

During the Summit 2019 @vincent-d mentioned the possibility of remotely
executing shell commands and @HendrikVE had a working shell-over-bluettoth.

I just wanted to point out to you some work in that direction that may
(or may not) be useful. With the PRs I mention below it should be easier
to implement something like a CBOR/JSON based interface based on COAP or
any other protocol.

The first one is PR #10624 by @MrKevinWeiss which tries to define a
common output format for shell commands. In particular, it provides a
consistent way of reporting the return code of commands. The tricky part
here is that it is still text based.

The other is PR #9538 by me where I define some data structures to
express the arguments to a command and also provide a parser. The parser
is not important here, but the structures could allow arguments to be
parsed from a document (e.g. JSON/CBOR/etc) and introspection by making
the commands self-describing.

Hope you can find that useful.

Regards,

Juan.