[riot-notifications] [RIOT-OS/RIOT] tools/serial: add support for socat as riot terminal (#11034)
notifications at github.com
Wed Feb 20 08:39:41 CET 2019
The RIOT community cares a lot about code quality.
Therefore, before describing what your contribution is about, we would like
you to make sure that your modifications are compliant with the RIOT
coding conventions, see https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/wiki/Coding-conventions.
### Contribution description
This PR provides support for `socat` as an alternative RIOT terminal tool. It was inspired by #11003.
The good thing with socat is that it allows redirecting the serial port to anything: the current shell, a TCP server, etc. The default behaviour is to redirect to the current shell like other tools. But it's possible to provide the SOCAT_OUTPUT variable with custom output parameters.
Put here the description of your contribution:
- describe which part(s) of RIOT is (are) involved
- if it's a bug fix, describe the bug that it solves and how it is solved
- you can also give more information to reviewers about how to test your changes
### Testing procedure
- Just build and flash any application for a given board with a shell
- Open the terminal using socat:
$ RIOT_TERMINAL=socat make BOARD=saml11-xpro -C examples/default/ flash term
- Try the redirection to a different output, here a local TCP server:
$ SOCAT_OUTPUT=TCP4-LISTEN:20000,reuseaddr RIOT_TERMINAL=socat make BOARD=saml11-xpro -C examples/default/ flash term
- You can access the shell using netcat from another terminal (this is exactly what is done in IoT-LAB for instance):
$ nc localhost 20000
Details steps to test your contribution:
- which test/example to compile for which board and is there a 'test' command
- how to know that it was not working/available in master
- the expected success test output
### Issues/PRs references
Inspired by #11003
Examples: Fixes #1234. See also #5678. Depends on PR #9876.
Please use keywords (e.g., fixes, resolve) with the links to the issues you
resolved, this way they will be automatically closed when your pull request
is merged. See https://help.github.com/articles/closing-issues-using-keywords/.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:
-- Commit Summary --
* tools/serial: add support for socat as riot terminal
-- File Changes --
M makefiles/tools/serial.inc.mk (4)
-- Patch Links --
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the notifications