[riot-notifications] [RIOT-OS/RIOT] makefiles: refactor the coloring and the use of echo. (#12126)
Juan I Carrano
notifications at github.com
Tue Sep 10 11:25:27 CEST 2019
Maybe I should explain a bit more what all of this achieves. Current issues, solved by this PR:
- Currently one has to know if a string has colors or not, to know if normal echo/$(info ..)/$(warning ..) can be used or $(COLOR_ECHO)
- A terminal can support ANSI colors, but not have a "echo -e".
- COLOR_ECHO is confusing- it is needed when _any_ escape sequence is used (e.g. \t, \n), not only colors.
- Requiring "echo -e" to show colors means that $(info ..), $(warning ..) cannot be used.
- They are the natural way of generating output in a makefile.
- Warning reports the origin of the message.
- $(shell echo ...) calls have quite some overhead (like all $(shell ...) invocations).
- Same thing for "@echo" in recipes. Remember each line in a recipe is a _new_ shell.
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the notifications