[riot-users] A few questions about Riot-OS

Oleg Hahm oleg at hobbykeller.org
Fri Feb 8 11:32:03 CET 2013

Hi Cédric!

>   The first one would be about simulation of Riot-OS
> (for debugging, for testing behavior with large simulations):
> is there a way to simulate it?

Unfortunately, so far we don't have a simulator for RIOT. However, it is
indeed a high priority task to provide some simulation/emulation for RIOT
soon.

> - for instance have a home-made simulator with a basic
>   topology (like http://zboss.dsr-wireless.com/) ?
> - or have the possibility to compile it, or some parts,
>   as a standalone library, and later link it to a
>   simulator (e.g. ns3, OMNET++, ...) ?
> - or compile it to a known platform like Zolertia Z1,
>   TelosB and then use the COOJA simulator ?

We are considering several approaches like Cooja, skyeye [1], or the
integration into existing network simulators using a user space process. So
far we haven't decided, what's the most promising solution.

>   The another set is about 6lowpan+RPL implementation:
> - are all parts of the RFC(s) implemented ?
>   like storing/non-storing mode, DAO, and also for
>   data traffic, the "RPL option" IPv6 option field,
>   with rank error, and associated actions.

The 6LoWPAN implementation should be fully RFC compliant. The RPL
implementation is currently under revision for RFC compliance.

Stephan, can you give us an update on this?

>   And finally do you know if there is any port to
> PC machines (IA32/IA64), directly (as the only OS)
> or as a subprocess of the PC machine ? And do you
> plan to support Cortex-M3-based chip, such as the
> TI CC2538 ?

We have some ideas to let RIOT run as a user space process for Linux. But I
doubt that there will be a native port for x86.

There exists a port for a STM32 board with an ARM Cortex-M3 in a very early
stage and as far as I know further development here is planned for the near
future.

> PSL I hope also the BeagleBoards are working well :)

Yep, they're working pretty fine and are very nice toys. ;)

[1] http://skyeye.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
--
"Conscience and cowardice are really the same things [...] Conscience is the
trade-name of the firm."

In 80 Küchen um die Welt - in Berlin: http://www.achtzig.org