[riot-users] Technical Report on RIOT

Heiko Will hwill at inf.fu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 17 14:54:50 CET 2013

Hi all,

here are some brief and quick annotations to the suggested paper:

- I think the two network stacks in Figure I are mixed up

- The data in Table I seems very optimistic to me: With those memory
footprint we could not send pakets or use the network, we also have no
stdout support, etc. Contiki and TinyOs both support multithreading. I
never heard about supporting c++ in our system and I think it cannot be
achieved on a msp430. What do you mean with full c support, we're not
fully POSIX compatible, we are even not fully newlib compatible and
cannot achieve even one of those.

- Contiki supports preemptive scheduling.

- We only support MCUs with vectored interrupt controllers and I rarely
heard about MCUs without one.

In general the paper reads more like a marketing whitepaper than a
scientifical paper to me.

Best regards,
Heiko

P.S.: could you please add thomas to this mailing list.