[riot-users] default-native: Input/output error (Mac OS X)

Lotte Steenbrink lotte.steenbrink at fu-berlin.de
Sun Sep 15 20:59:08 CEST 2013

Hi,
I'm trying to get the default-native project up & running to get accustomed to RIOT OS. Unfortunately, txtsnd fails and I can't figure out the source of my error.
When I try to send a message to my second RIOT instance I get the following output:

> id
id
Current id: 0
> txtsnd 1 hi
txtsnd 1 hi
[nativenet] Sending packet of length 3 to 1: hi
nativenet_send:  Sending packet of length 3 from 0 to 1
send_buf:  Sending packet of length 3 from 0 to 1
padding data! (9 ->26)
send_buf: trying to send 26 bytes
default-native.elf: write: Input/output error
default-native.elf: nativenet_send: error sending packet
[nativenet] Packet sent: 0

(obviously, my hi never reaches 1 . )
I've compiled the default-native project with -I/opt/local/include/ -O0 -g -W -Wextra -Wc++-compat -pedantic.
Strangely, when I tried to find out where exactly the I/O error occurs by invoking

sudo gdb program 9963

(with 9963 being 0's PID), adding a breakpoint to tap.c:141 and stepping through the execution of txtsnd 1 ohai, the
I/O error disappeared:

> txtsnd 1 ohai
txtsnd 1 ohai
[nativenet] Sending packet of length 5 to 1: ohai
nativenet_send:  Sending packet of length 5 from 0 to 1
send_buf:  Sending packet of length 5 from 0 to 1
padding data! (11 ->26)
send_buf: trying to send 26 bytes
[nativenet] Packet sent: 1

(my message still didn't reach 1).

I can see the packets at bridge1234 in my Wireshark capture.
I'm running Mac OS X 10.75, with tuntapx installed.

It may very well be that the error occurs because of some misconfiguration in my system, but I am out of ideas on how to locate said misconfiguration.
I'd be very grateful for any help.

With kind regards,
Lotte