[riot-users] Switch to BSD?

Emmanuel Baccelli Emmanuel.Baccelli at inria.fr
Wed Dec 3 22:59:40 CET 2014

Dear RIOTers,

we have been receiving an increasing amount of negative feedback from
various companies concerning the practical usability of our LGPL license in
their context, being a show-stopper.

For this reason, INRIA, Freie Universitaet (FU) Berlin and Hamburg
University of Applied Science (HAW) are currently considering changing the
license of their contributions to RIOT to a less restrictive license (i.e.
BSD, potentially as soon as next release).

Such a switch to BSD is betting that the effect of a potentially smaller
percentage of user/devel contributing back to the master branch will be
dwarfed by the effect of a user/devel community growing much bigger and
quicker. This seems doable considering the current momentum around RIOT.

In a second phase, if such a license switch takes place for INRIA/FU/HAW
contributions, we would then contact other contributors individually, to
check their status concerning a similar switch for their own contributions.

But in the first place, we would like to debate this topic. In particular:
is anyone violently opposing the idea of migrating to a less restrictive
license, such as BSD? If so, why? On the other hand, if you explicitly
support the license change, feel free to indicate this as well. Please send
your opinion to the list before Dec. 10th.

Cheers,

Emmanuel