[riot-users] Switch to BSD?

Martin martin.landsmann at haw-hamburg.de
Mon Dec 15 11:49:15 CET 2014

Hi all,

sorry for the late reply.

I'm not against a license change in general.

I understand the positions of companies to be restrained on LGPL.
They will not provide much effort, in manpower and finance, to find a
way to link their implementations to RIOT not violating LGPL.
Just as Joakim stated, R&D always produce an amount confidential parts
of code that cannot be released to the public.

I see a license change pragmatically, I don't expect that most companies
that insist turning from LGPL to a less restrictive license such as
BSD/MIT before even "think about using RIOT",  will contribute back to
the RIOT codebase.
But if we can lure companies to actively use RIOT, this may gain the
visibility in serious markets and promote RIOT as the "Product" of
choice for the IoT.
Still I'm a little bit sceptical if a license change will result in the
desired pull effect.

In this context I'm in favour of an Apache like license over BSD/MIT.

Best regards,
Martin