[riot-users] RIOT Release 2014.01

Oleg Hahm oliver.hahm at inria.fr
Tue Jan 21 19:26:06 CET 2014

Dear RIOT developers and users,

it's an honor and pleasure to announce the second official release of the
RIOT operating system:
                -----------------------------------
                *         RIOT 2014.01            *
                -----------------------------------
This release version introduces various new features and drivers. Also, it
improves existing implementations by providing bug fixes, cleanups, and
restructuring.

Highlights of this release are the new CCN network stack, the POSIX socket
wrapper and the integration of external libraries such as libcoap and OpenWSN
through a BSD-like package system. Furthermore, we put quite some effort in
a better documentation and an easier to understand structure of the network
stack.

We also incorporated our experience from the demonstration for the SAFEST
project [1][2] using RIOT with RPL and UDP by fixing and stabilizing the
network stack. For debugging and testing we have also developed and extended
some external tools like RIOT-TV [3] and desvirt [4]. While RIOT-TV can
visualize real or emulated RIOT networks (using the native port), desvirt helps
you to set up such an emulated network.

Find out more details about the release in our release notes (attached). New
users should also look at the (improved) getting started tutorials [5][6].

You can download the RIOT release from Github, either by cloning the
repository or using the tarball:
https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/archive/2014.01.tar.gz

Happy RIOT,
Oleg

[1] http://safest.realmv6.org/
[2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRfZwO-ahrg
[3] https://github.com/RIOT-OS/Riot-TV
[4] https://github.com/des-testbed/desvirt
[5] https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/wiki/Introduction
[6] https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/wiki/Creating-your-first-RIOT-project
--
/* panic??  These should never occur in our application. */
        linux-2.6.6/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aiclib.c

RIOT is based on the following design principles: energy-efficiency, real-time
capabilities, small memory footprint, modularity, and uniform API access,
independent of the underlying hardware (this API offers partial POSIX
compliance).

New features
============
Core
----
+ msg_receive() with timeout
+ LPM support for MSP430 based platforms
+ introduced a version string

Supported platforms
-------------------
Additional support for the following boards:
+ TelosB
+ mbed LPC1768

Sensor drivers
---------------
+ drivers for the LM75A Digital temperature sensor and thermal watchdog
+ SRF02 and SRF08 ultrasonic range finders

Native port
-----------
+ implemented UART via I/O redirection or TCP and UNIX socket

System libraries
----------------
+ Mersenne twister pseudorandom number generator
+ crypto libraries
  + 3des
  + aes
  + rc5
  + skipjack
  + twofish
+ BSD-like package system for easy integration of external libraries

Network stack
-------------
+ port of CCN lite
+ POSIX socket wrapper
+ integration of libcoap
+ integration of OpenWSN

Further Changes
===============
* boards and projects repositories have been integrated and are now part of
  the RIOT repository itself
* full refactoring of the network stack and introducing a substructure
  according to the modules' functionalities
* cleaned up Makefile system and simplified binary folder
* more documentation
* various bug fixes and cleanups

Fixed Issues from the last release
==================================
#83: Wrong byte order in sixlowpan
    To our best knowledge all occurrences of wrong byte order within the 6LoWPAN
    network stack are fixed now.
#132: segfault in vtimer update shortterm
    The vtimer has been carefully evaluated and all known issues concerning this
    module are fixed.

Known Issues
============
#21: Deal with stdin in bordermultiplex.c
    Not all supported platforms provide a stdin in the current release.
    However, the implementation of the 6LoWPAN border router won't work
    without stdin.
#45: bit field order in the fcf may be wrong
    The CC2420 FIFO expects the IEEE802.15.4 FCF field in reversed bit order.
    This might break the implementation for other, upcoming radio
    transceivers.
#82: Setting STATUS_REPLY_BLOCKED thread to STATUS_PENDING though it is not
     handled yet
    In some rare cases the status of a thread might falsely change to
    STATUS_PENDING instead of STATUS_REPLY_BLOCKED.
#426: Interrupt handling on MSP430 is buggy
    UART and timer handling is currently unstable on MSP430 based platforms
#455: sha256 is broken on MSP430
    For unknown reasons sha256 calculates wrong results on MSP430 based platforms.
#495: native not float safe
    When the FPU is used when an asynchronous context switch occurs, either the
    stack gets corrupted or a floating point exception occurs.
#498: native is segfaulting at startup
    In some cases (about 5-10%) a RIOT native process crashes with a SEGFAULT
    at startup.
#499: native is segfaulting on heavy network usage
    Sending more than 100 packets per second causes a SEGFAULT in RIOT native.
#505: native on FreeBSD is broken
    Due to different parameter handling in FreeBSD, native is currently not
    working there.

For all issues and open pull requests please check the RIOT issue tracker:
https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/issues

Release 2013.08
===============
Kernel
------
- Microkernel with a powerful messaging system
- Multi-Threading with low overhead
- an energy-efficient, real-time capable scheduler
- small memory footprint

Userspace
---------
- 6LoWPAN according to RFC 4944, RFC 6282, and RFC 6775
- TCP and UDP
- RPL according to RFC 6550 and RFC 6719
- High resolution and long-term timers
- POSIX IO and BSD socket API
- Bloom filter
- SHA256

Hardware Support
----------------
- various ARM and MSP430 MCUs
    * ARM7 NXP LPC2387
    * TI MSP430F1612
    * TI CC430F6137
    * ARM7 Freescale MC13224v (preliminary)
    * ARM Cortex-M4 STM32f407vgt6 (preliminary)
    * ARM Cortex-M3 STM32f103rey6 (preliminary)
- radio drivers
    * TI CC1100 and CC1101
    * TI CC2420
    * Atmel AT86RF231