[riot-users] NFC support on RIOT

Christian Mehlis christian at m3hlis.de
Sat Oct 4 17:02:01 CEST 2014

Am 04.10.2014 um 13:41 schrieb Francesco Ermini:
> I'm electronic engineer student and I'm beginning a thesis on RIOT. The
> idea is to use NFC to transmit new crypt keys for the 802.15.4
>   communication between gateway and sensor,both with riot-os. The first
> problem is how to make NFC works on RIOT? Searching on internet I didn't
> find any documentation,do you know which module or library  should I use?
> Alternatively, can I  use  C/C++ NFC library for Arduino  Due in RIOT ?

Hi Francesco,

so far we have no NFC support in RIOT. But in case you want to add it to
RIOT, you need a board which can run RIOT, take a look at
https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/wiki/RIOT-Platforms and has a SPI working.

I think the most RFID/NFC devices will use SPI to communicate with the
board.

On the RFID/NFC: do you have any information about the hardware you want
to use?

I'm owning a NXP RC522 (labeled as RFID) (with SPI). You can also buy a
NXP-PN532 (labeled as NFC).

To make it work in RIOT you need to port the arduino driver or write one
based on the documentation/existing code.

Happy hacking and welcome to RIOT. We always like to integrate new
functionality in the main repository. To contribute have a look at:
https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/wiki/Development-procedures

Best
Christian