[riot-users] Stm32f4 Discovery Shell UART not working

Joachim hjbathb at yahoo.de
Thu Oct 30 18:29:05 CET 2014

Hello Peter and Ludwig,

thanks for the quick reply and the "welcome".

I checked everything again and build the "shell" appl. as described by Peter below. It doesn't work.

I'm using Linux MINT 17 as a virtual machine with Virtualbox.

=== The compiler I use (from ppa:terry.guo/gcc-arm-embedded)
joachim at Mint-VirtualBox ~/Projekt/RIOT-master/tests/shell $ arm-none-eabi-gcc --version
arm-none-eabi-gcc (GNU Tools for ARM Embedded Processors) 4.8.4 20140725 (release)
[ARM/embedded-4_8-branch revision 213147]

=== The terminal output after reset of the discovery board:
kernel_init(): This is RIOT! (Version: UNKNOWN (builddir: /home/joachim/Projekt/RIOT-master))
kernel_init(): jumping into first task...
test_shell.
UART0 thread started.
uart0_init() [OK]

I have exchanged my RS232 level shifter. The same result. In case I shortcut tx/rx on my level
shifter, I can see the keyboard hits on my terminal.

The only idea I have, my discovery is dead on that RX-pin for UART-0. But honestly, I don't believe
that. I guess there is something else. Do you have a quick hint to enable a debug print, if the RX
IRQ is running? Or may be you have another idea?

@Ludwig: At the moment there is no special project. First I like to "play" a bit with RIOT-OS. I
ordered two "MRF24J40MA", a Microchip development board (should be compatible with CC2420),
yesterday. I want to transfer data between two STM32F4 discovery (with MRF24J40MA connected).
In case that is working, may be I want to buy more HW and build a wireless sensor network. I'm also
interesting in routing and "self healing" networks. I'm very new to 6loWPAN and RPL but as I
understood, that is possible!??
I have used TinyOS in the past for one project in my job. Nobody has experience with wireless sensor
networks in my company and they choose TinyOS. I prefer RIOT-OS in case that is working. :)
Further I like the XMC2Go (Infinion) to run RIOT-OS. I know you start something for a port. ;)

Thank you very much.

greetings
Joachim