[riot-users] Newcomer

Martine Lenders authmillenon at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 17:25:00 CEST 2015

Hi Jerome,
welcome to the RIOT community.
With your Docker problem I can't help sadly, since I never used the image,
but to your timer question: Currently we are in a transition period: The
older vtimer [1], based on hwtimer [2], that is on its way to be replaced
by an new API xtimer [3] which utilizes the peripheral timer API [4]. If
you want to schedule an event with both of them you use the
vtimer_set_msg() or xtimer_set_msg() functions respectively. It schedules
an IPC message send by the ISR at the scheduled time. Note that this is
independent from the kernel's thread scheduler since it is tick-less and
purely event based. The *_set_msg() function allow you to schedule such
events based on time.

Hope this was helpful,
Martine

[1] http://doc.riot-os.org/group__sys__vtimer.html