[riot-users] RIOT for Application or Research?

Ron Segal ron at suretronic.com
Thu Aug 6 22:17:18 CEST 2015

Hi RIOT Folk
As a long standing Contiki user (deploying the os on several self-designed and
manufactured ARM boards), who is somewhat frustrated by the apparent continuing
emphasis on research and development over application, I am wondering where RIOT
stands in that regard? Although there is a clear statement 'out of the box usage
in industry, research, and private environments', what does that really mean?
For example can we expect a release strategy that includes stable versions
suitable for industrial deployment? Perhaps a 'users' in addition to a
'developers' forum, particularly for those that wish to minimise getting 'into
the box'.  You'll appreciate that my interest is in the potential of eventually
migrating from Contiki to RIOT. Best wishes, Ron.