[riot-users] Namespace support

Martine Lenders authmillenon at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 12:15:29 CET 2015

Hi Donna,
sorry for the late answer.
I'm not an expert on the kernel either, but from what I understand RIOT
does does not make use of kernel namespaces and control groups. Since RIOT
is a microkernel and written from scratch (as you already mentioned it is
historically based on the FireKernel which was in its infancy thought to be
a real-time capable kernel for Contiki if understood our history correctly)
it is very different from the Linux kernel. The only features it provides
is thread-scheduling, IPC and the part of the hardware that is needed for
this. Since most platforms we support don't even have an MMU, memory
management is out of scope for RIOT, currently (this is one of the reasons
why we refer to the processes consequently as threads and not as processes).

Hope this was helpful,
Martine