[riot-users] transceiver's driver support for Arudino mega 2560

Ludwig Ortmann ludwig.ortmann at fu-berlin.de
Sat Jun 20 07:17:56 CEST 2015

Hi,

Regarding the Atmel extension board:
I did not cross check whether RIOT does support all the sensors on it. If it would, you theoretically only need to specify the peripheral interface each sensor is connected to. As long as Atmel did not do something weird (don't know, I never had this board in my hands), you would not need to implement a special driver for the extension board itself.

At least the temperature sensor is not supported by RIOT right now. However, like I said before, implementing drivers is not so hard.

Regarding the interfaces, you are mistaken.
First, the extension board needs more peripheral interfaces, not only UART and SPI.
For example, quoting the datasheet:
"IO1 Xplained Pro extension board features an Atmel AT30TSE758 temperature sensor chip with an 8kbit serial EEPROM inside. The sensor includes programmable high and low temperature alarms, user-selectable temperature resolution up to 12 bits, and an I2C/SMBus™ compatible serial interface."

Second, the samr21-xpro does feature more peripheral drivers.
For example:
"FEATURES_PROVIDED += periph_i2c"

Another way of adding sensors (which are already supported in RIOT) is this:
Buy some sensors made for arduino on eBay, attach them to the board via jumper wire.
Example:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/DHT11-Temperature-and-Humidity-Sensor-Module-for-Arduino-/271096647277

I suggest you carefully read the articles at http://www.watr.li to give you an idea about the whole thing.

Cheers,