[riot-users] CC1101 or similar transceiver with STM32 ARM micro -- new platform questions

Oleg Hahm oliver.hahm at inria.fr
Fri Sep 18 11:43:52 CEST 2015

Hi John!

Sorry for the late response.

> The MSB-iot has all the features I want and more, so it would be good to
> reduce down from, but I don't find the documentation of it yet.  Is it an
> open design?  The software is GPL...

The MSB-IoT is a platform designed by FU Berlin for research. I don't know if
the design is open, but you could try to contact Dr. Achim Liers [1] who designed
the board

> So, if I want to use the same chips and software as MSB-iot, do I need to
> figure out the schematic to connect them up from scratch?  MSB-iot uses a
> STM32F415RG @$10/100, 192kb RAM 1024kb flash
> (sounds luxurious).
>
> Is there any write up about trade offs of using less or more memory or clock
> speed?
> For example, what is different from the above platform capabilities compared
> to a spark core with STM32F103CB @$5/100 pcs. cortex M3, 20kb RAM 128kb
> flash
> (sounds spartan).

Do I understand your question correctly that you want to know the impact of
amount of memory and clock speed on energy consumption and performance? I
guess there are papers about this. Have you checked Google Scholar?

> Are platform questions like how to choose amounts of flash and RAM for
> dealing with radio OK to ask on the devel list?

Definitely!

[1] http://www.mi.fu-berlin.de/inf/groups/ag-tech/staff/0Current/liers.html
--
T he bes thin gabou tTCPfl owcontr oljokesi sthatthey knowwhento backo ff....