[riot-users] How to execute "gnrc_networking"

dicek bear dicek334 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 09:33:29 CET 2016

Dear RIOT users,

Hello. I am a new comer to RIOT OS. Recently I downloaded the latest
version RIOT-2016.10 and tried to execute some examples.

At first I tried the "default" example. It is executed with no problem.
Next, tried the "gnrc_networking" example. It caused a trouble as following,

First, created a tap interface,

   sudo ip tuntap add tap0 mode tap user ${USER}
   sudo ip link set tap0 up

Then, started the "gnrc_networking" by invoking as

   PORT=tap0 make term

The following messages were displayed. The program was started but
segmentation fault was caused

 /home/user/Desktop/RIOT-2016.10/examples/gnrc_networking/bin/native/gnrc_networking.elf
tap0
   RIOT native interrupts/signals initialized.
   LED_RED_OFF
   LED_GREEN_ON
   RIOT native board initialized.
   RIOT native hardware initialization complete.

   make: *** [term] Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Why is this problem occur?.

My development environment is

   Ubuntu12.04 (is guest OS on host OS windows7)

In the gnrc_networking/README.md, "Ununtu14.04 comes with netcat IPv6
support pre-installed." Is written. Is this problem caused by that netcat
is not installed or unsuitable for Ubuntu12.04 ?.

If so, are there any solutions to execute "gnrc_networking" on Ubuntu12.04
?.
My PC is Windows7. It may be impossible to upgrade to Ubuntu14.04.

Dicek Bear