[riot-users] Unable to use set addr via ifconfig

tobaccopipeyoyo . tobaccopipeyoyo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 17:35:40 CET 2016

Hi,
I am able to run native build after creating tap.
I run make term PORT=tap0 from the default examples folder.
After running ifconfig this is what I get

/home/RIOT/examples/default/bin/native/default.elf tap0
RIOT native interrupts/signals initialized.
LED_GREEN_OFF
LED_RED_ON
RIOT native board initialized.
RIOT native hardware initialization complete.

main(): This is RIOT! (Version: 2016.03-devel-793-gf7ddeb-Inspiron-N5010)
Native RTC initialized.
Welcome to RIOT!
> ifconfig
ifconfig
Iface  4   HWaddr: b2:eb:2d:8b:e2:ca

           Source address length: 6

*Is something missing here*
After that, I try to set the addr via
> ifconfig 4 add 2001:db8::1
ifconfig 4 add 2001:db8::1
error: unable to add IPv6 address.

I've referred to the following
https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/wiki/Virtual-riot-network
https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/wiki/Creating-your-first-RIOT-project

Please advise as to what needs to be done
My aim is to have 2 instances communicate over the tap interface.

Thanks,
Suvrat