[riot-users] Questions about NDN applications in RIOT

Joakim Nohlgård joakim.nohlgard at eistec.se
Sun Dec 17 14:05:43 CET 2017

Hi RIOTers,
I have found an interest in NDN in IoT scenarios and I have some questions
which I haven't been able to figure out on my own yet. So far, I have only
gathered theoretical knowledge, I have not had the opportunity to do any
hands on experiments yet.
What protocols and formats are you using for the application layer data in
NDN deployments?
Are there any proposals for naming conventions in sensor networks when
working with ICN data?
I have seen several research articles and YouTube videos from different
conferences and workshops where NDN applications are using RIOT, but not
much discussion about the application layer data formats used or the naming
conventions. It seems like SenML+CBOR would be one possibility, but it has
quite some overhead in the description with an URN which may not be
necessary with named data.
Who are working on NDN projects with RIOT?
I know some of the Berlin people and INRIA seem involved, and some PRs from
UCLA (Wentao Shang) and FIU (Alex Afanasyev), so I guess there is a quite
widespread interest in NDN on RIOT. So what kind of experiments are you
doing? What is the application layer data?
I want to explore sensor network scenarios with NDN but I don't know at
what point I should jump in.
What aspects of the NDN cryptographic security options have been used with
RIOT so far?
Has there been any work done on mesh networks with NDN?
In a mutex network, the forwarded interest packet may need to bounce back
out the same interface that it was received from in order to reach a device
with the right data. Is there a risk for broadcast storms? Similar to the
wizards apprentice syndrome where one packet triggers multiple follow up
transmissions from other nodes and the network would be filled with
broadcasts from all nodes.

Hoping to hear from others doing research in this area,

Best regards,
Joakim Nohlgård