[riot-users] Exchange of the transceiver module on the SAMR21 Xplained Pro Platform

Wiegel, Friedrich (IAI) friedrich.wiegel at kit.edu
Tue Feb 7 10:59:32 CET 2017

Hello everybody,
as part of my master thesis at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, I will connect a Powerline transceiver to the SAMR21 Xplained Pro platform. This one runs with RIOT OS. For the PLC transceiver, I develop the driver, which we also want to make open source.
The transceiver communicates with the host μC via API via UART. That means, the driver looks similar to the Xbee drivers from ../RIOT/drivers/xbee/.
After completion of the driver I would like to replace the AT86RF233 transceiver from SAM R21 Xplained Pro platform buy PLC transceiver.
Unfortunately, until now I can't figure out how to do that. Is there any documentation that you could recommend?
I have read all the tutorials and how-tos as well as documentation that I have found so far. I know that a driver is a module and I know how to assign a module such as shell to the makefile of some application. In the makefile.dep of the board I found the following:
ifneq (,$(filter gnrc_netdev_default netdev_default,$(USEMODULE)))
  USEMODULE += at86rf233
Endif
I guess I need to replace this and the SPI assignments in the bord.h. Is that right?
I would be very grateful for your help.
Best regards,
Friedrich Wiegel