[riot-users] Ref. Starting with RiOT

Cenk Gündoğan list-riot at cgundogan.de
Fri Jun 30 09:32:21 CEST 2017

Hello Mauricio!

Thank you for your feedback and welcome to RIOT (:

On 17-06-30 00:54:26, Mauricio Giovagnini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My  name is Mauricio and I am new on the maillist.  I found RIOT-OS on the freenode server and I came here to know more about it.
>
> You have done an amazing job so far.
>

> I read most of the website looking for where to start.  I think this it is on
>
> https://github.com/RIOT-OS/Tutorials
>
> I was able to download the tutorials and the vagrant file but I do not understand what to do next.  I presume the VM has everything to get started or to compile a project without having to deal with paths, different toolchains, versions, etc.  But again I am new and perhaps I am mistaken
>

> My system is a linux debian and I have virtualbox properly installed with the extension pack.
>
> I ran the VM and it prompts for an user and password, but I couldn't found anywhere in the documentation which user and password is.
>
> So my questions are.
>
> a. Is the vm then going to be a method of having all the working environment up and running just not to deal with annoying setups when one is a newbie and many things can fail?
> b. Which is the user and password?

In general, using the VM directly from the Virtualbox GUI is not the
preferred way. Here [1] you can find a short How-To on the usage of
vagrant. You can start the VM by executing `vagrant up` in your console
and `vagrant ssh` brings you into the guest machine. You must change
into the RIOT directory before you can execute those commands.

[1] https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/tree/master/dist/tools/vagrant

Best,
Cenk