[riot-users] RIOT OS 900MHz 802.15.4 platform

John Griessen john at ecosensory.com
Sat Mar 25 21:20:36 CET 2017

On 03/25/2017 11:48 AM, Dean Hall wrote:
> I have used the Semtech SX127x chip that has the proprietary LoRa chirp spread spectrum modulation (in addition to a few other common modulations, such as FSK).  There are plenty of affordable eval boards, such as this:
> https://www.tindie.com/products/DORJI_COM/868mhz-915mhz-sx1276-data-radio-modem-drf1276dm/
> (Search for other LoRa products, there are eval boards in Arduino, Raspberry Pi and Xbee form factors)
>
> The chip has a 256 byte buffer which accommodates 802.15.4, but has no 802.15.4-specific features such as PAN filtering to reduce CPU load.  The chip also has poor timing control of the radio… it’s hard to start a transmission with microsecond control like you can with some TI radios.  So it isn’t exactly suitable for a protocol with tight timing control.

Thanks for pointing that chip out.

The CC1310 MCU+radio seems great for longer range with 40kbps data throughput, and has a relatively short lock time for changing
frequencies, so hopping modes should be efficient power wise.  Some mention of porting CC1310 has been made here.

Any more progress running riot-os on CC1310?