[riot-users] Best practices for new board / drivers?

Kaspar Schleiser kaspar at schleiser.de
Thu Aug 2 09:20:52 CEST 2018

Hi Brooks,

On 07/17/2018 07:55 PM, Martine Lenders wrote:
> you can simply overwrite the RIOTBOARD macro in your application's
> Makefile with another path where your board definitions reside (e.g. a
> new path in your current hierarchy ./myboards). If you use a completely
> new MCU as well, you can also overwrite RIOTCPU for an alternative to
> $(RIOTBASE)/cpu/.

Unfortunately that will not work for the more abstracted boards, because
e.g., boards/samr21-xpro/Makefile.include might include
$(RIOTBOARD)/sam0-common/Makefile.include, which breaks if RIOTBOARD
doesn't point to $RIOTBASE/boards. Some work is needed there.

I usually branch RIOT and add a custom board into the branches boards/.

Kaspar