[riot-users] cc2538 range problem

smlng s at mlng.net
Thu Mar 22 09:27:38 CET 2018

Dear Kemal,

there is a known issue with the CC2538 when packets need to be fragmented into several frames.
Also there is currently no ACK handling in RIOT for the CC2538 transceiver, hence when sending
too fast frames will likely get lost due to collision.

However, in general sending data should work (under constraints mentioned above). Please try the
following: flash both Remotes with RIOTs `gnrc_networking` example, connect to their shells. Run
`ping6 ff02::1` and see if you get something through, if not you may also try to increase tx power
with `ifconfig 7 set power 7` (7 is the maximum for the remotes). Then try again to ping.

I just tested this with 2 remotes roughly set 30cm apart, too, and it worked - though there was
some packet loss but pings got through. If that works for you as well, you can start UDP server
on one RIOT node and send data from the other.

Btw. you may also add 2.4GHz antennas to increase gain, maybe that helps too.

Best,
  Sebastian