[riot-users] Long HW Address/MAC address Issue - telosB

Peter Kietzmann peter.kietzmann at haw-hamburg.de
Mon Nov 19 09:17:47 CET 2018

Hi,

in RIOT the MAC address is basically generated from the CPUID and in
case of it's absence a static fallback value is incorporated. The
msp430s don't provide CPUIDs so the latter is the case.

The driver sets up the MAC address during initialization:
https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/blob/master/drivers/cc2420/cc2420.c#L55

The generic "luid" module uses a backup seed (LUID_BACKUP_SEED) which is
overwritten in a CPUID is present (which isn't the case for msp430):
https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/blob/master/sys/luid/luid.c#L51

The backup seed is set here and can be overwritten:
https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/blob/master/sys/include/luid.h#L67

Cheers
Peter