[riot-users] SPI Initialization failure with mrf24j40 and stm32f0discovery

nils nils at firemail.cc
Tue Nov 27 01:31:27 CET 2018

Hello,

I'm trying to get the mrf24j40 radio working with  the
stm32f0discovery, I've connected it correctly (to my understanding), but SPI
seems to fail to initialize.

Currently the following code is used to test, with ENABLE_DEBUG set:
     #include <stdio.h>
     #include <mrf24j40.h>
     #include <mrf24j40_params.h>

     int main(void)
     {
         mrf24j40_t dev;
         mrf24j40_setup(&dev, mrf24j40_params);
         mrf24j40_reset(&dev);
         return 0;
     }

This results in the following error from the mrf24j40_init function:
[mrf24j40] Initialization failure, SPI interface communication failed

The only USEMODULE I've selected in the makefile is mrf24j40

My question here is what the best steps from here would be to find out what
could cause SPI to fail, I feel a bit overwhelmed with the possible causes
this could have and frankly have no idea what to check next. Is anything
inherently wrong with my usage of the driver? Can I use the default params
from mrf24j40_params.h without issues? Are any issues known with the stm32
boards and this radio chip? Is the only possible problem here the way I've
connected it? Any specific pins not clear from the default params that
need to
be connected to either GND or VCC?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated,
thanks in advance

Nils