[riot-users] TCP API Echo Example Does not Build for ESP8266

Robin robin at chilio.net
Fri Jul 19 15:43:06 CEST 2019

On 19.07.19 15:29, Burak Karaduman wrote:
> Well the thing is there are offical example for tcp. If it is not
> implemented but an offical example is given on it, then a Warning must
> be written to example page. Otherwise, somebody will think that it is
> implemented , exampled and ready to run. I hope that it is implemented
> and another case causes error. Thanks for your reply.

This is an API documentation, not the documentation of an actual
implementation. The API is (as an example) implemented in the lwip
network stack.

Also the example only shows the usage of the API and explicitly states
that you need to include an implementation "First you need toinclude
<https://riot-os.org/api/creating-an-application.html#including-modules>a
module that implements this API in your application's Makefile."

Maybe the hint "For example the implementation forGNRC
<https://riot-os.org/api/group__net__gnrc.html>is
called|gnrc_sock_tcp|." should be removed, since this implementation
does not exists.

There is an actual TCP implementation for gnrc but no sock_tcp
implementation (this API). You can use the tcp implementation directly
without the socket abstraction if you want or switch to lwip and use the
sock API.

An issue for the missing implementation of the sock API is here[1].

Robin

[1]https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/issues/10664