[riot-users] help with USB

Koen Zandberg koen at bergzand.net
Mon Jun 24 10:36:16 CEST 2019

Hi Trevor,

As Dylan mentioned below, the low level STM32 USB driver is not yet
implemented. As far as I know there are three different USB peripherals
used in the STM32 products: The shared USB/CAN peripheral, an USB OTG
full speed peripheral and an USB OTG high speed peripheral. These last
two are very similar and the high speed version looks like an extended
version of the full speed peripheral. The shared USB/CAN has a different
register organization compared to the other two. This USB/CAN peripheral
is the peripheral found on the blackpill boards if I remember correctly.

I haven't attempted a driver for this peripheral yet (I've only put some
initial work in the USB OTG FS periph). Any contribution here is
welcome. Also please let me know if there is implementation-related
documentation missing.

HID support is not implemented yet and I haven't put much thought into
how to organize code for that yet. Your best help here is probably the
USB-IF documentation on the HID spec. While it would be nice to have a
generic USB HID module, I can imagine any HID descriptor generator
becoming too complex for a quick implementation. If you only require a
simple, PoC-like, implementation, I would recommend creating a custom
handler with a constant pre-build HID descriptor and some functions to
read and report the game controller state to the host.

Cheers,
Koen