[riot-users] dropping board support for jiminy-mega256rfr2

Ralf Schlatterbeck rsc at runtux.com
Mon Sep 9 12:09:57 CEST 2019

On Mon, Sep 09, 2019 at 10:53:10AM +0200, Marian Buschsieweke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just opened a pull request to drop the jiminy-mega256rfr2 [1]. If you want
> this board to remain supported, please drop a line there.

Note that we have started to maintain a board with the same CPU, the
merkurboard http://osdwiki.open-entry.com/doku.php/en:projekte:merkur

We're maintaining a fork of contiki for this board but since contiki-ng
started nobody seems to maintain the 'classic' version anymore, the -ng
version seems to be solely targeting 16 or more bit CPUs.
See our fork https://github.com/osdomotics/osd-contiki

So we're currently looking into RIOT for this board.
If you drop support for the jiminy-mega256rfr2, please don't drop
support for the mega256rfr2 processor.

We've tested the RIOT support that exists for the mega256rfr2 and it
looks ok, flashing (with Arduino-compatible bootloader) using AVRdude
etc. works fine.

The radio-support for the mega256rfr2 is lacking, though, we were not
able to get 802.15.4 / 6loWPAN working so far. We're prepared to put
some work into the radio layer. Questions we're currently facing will
follow in separate mailinglist threads.

Ralf
--
Dr. Ralf Schlatterbeck                  Tel:   +43/2243/26465-16
Open Source Consulting                  www:   http://www.runtux.com
Reichergasse 131, A-3411 Weidling       email: office at runtux.com